Surya Namaskar (Sun Salutation)
The Surya Namaskar is a superbly designed orchestration of movements using twelve yoga poses. It is one of the most widely loved yoga sequences and it is easy to see why; it provides us with so many benefits for a minimal investment of time and effort:
- The whole front and back of our spine is opened up beautifully
- All the key joints and muscles in our arms, shoulders, neck, chest, back, stomach, abdomen and legs are moved and stretched
- Our whole body gets a great cardiovascular workout
- Stimulates and strengthens our digestive, elimination and respiratory systems
- Our mind learns to focus and to calm down as we practice with awareness – one technique for this is to focus on our breath as we flow through the poses
- We connect spiritually with the sun and the universal energy that it provides, encouraging us to receive with gratitude and humility
A word of precaution for those who have not previously experienced Surya Namaskar before: It can be physically fairly demanding, requiring strength, stamina and suppleness. As with all yoga practices, please remember to listen to and respect the body at all times. Work within your limits, at a pace that suits you.
The Chi Kri Sun Salutation Videos
Alternative Version of Sun Salutation
The twelve poses of this alternative version are summarised below. There are some variations, depending upon who has introduced this sequence; here we offer our suggestion, but feel free to modify it to suit your needs.